Note: As a subsidiary of
Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology, UCOL | Te Pūkenga is committed to providing the best learning outcome for you. As part of this, all programmes are currently being reviewed to make them portable, consistent, and closely aligned with the needs of the industry. When published, this course information is correct, but the courses offered may change over time. If you have any questions call an Enrolment Advisor on 0800 468 265.
From 2023, UCOL | Te Pūkenga and the programme you have enrolled in will become part of Te Pūkenga. So, if you join UCOL | Te Pūkenga in 2023, you will be awarded Te Pūkenga certification. And, if you are a current learner graduating in 2023, you will be awarded a co-branded certificate.
This programme consists of 120 credits.
Culinary Supervision (20 Credits)
Learn standards of professional practice for advanced cookery.
Advanced Cookery Preparation and Presentation Techniques (25 Credits)
Learn to perform advanced cookery preparation and presentation techniques in a professional kitchen.
Kitchen Operations Management (20 Credits)
Learn to plan, monitor workflow and supplies in a commercial kitchen, and manage operating procedures and compliance requirements for operational roles.
Menu Planning and Development (20 Credits)
Learn to design, plan and develop menus with advanced techniques for implementation in a commercial kitchen considering all requirements and restrictions. The course will cover:
- Menu planning for specific target markets
- Menu and dish research taking into consideration nutrition, costs, colour, flavour and texture
- Recipe refinement and testing
- Food costs
- Selling prices
- Menu compilation for different customer situations
- Work plans for menu implementation
- Menu evaluation
- Establishment of criteria, which include customer satisfaction, productivity, profitability and efficiency
- Designing of a questionnaire to be used with a menu to obtain customer feedback, analyse information, make recommendations and adjustments if necessary, and demonstrate professional practice standards.
Advanced Larder Practices (20 Credits)
Learn advanced larder preparation and presentation techniques in a professional kitchen.
Industry Placement (15 Credits) (105 work experience hours)
Learn standards of professional practice for advanced cookery. The course covers:
- Preparation of basic and complex dishes in cold larder, sauce selection, vegetable section, pastry/dessert section
- The kitchen brigade hierarchy and cultural diversity of staff members
- Jobs and staff responsibilities
- An e-journal on daily work experiences
- Legislative requirements and their compliance within the commercial kitchen
- Demonstrate professional practice standards.