Kia ora, Kia orana, Malo e lelei, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Talofa lava, Malo ni, Greetings to all.
By collaboration and shared values, Māori and Pasifika people aged between 16 – 40 years now have an opportunity to study FEES-FREE* at UCOL through the Māori and Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT) initiative.
The Māori and Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT) initiative provides a limited number of FEES-FREE* tertiary places for Māori and Pasifika learners, and an opportunity for students to pathway onto apprenticeships, employment, or higher levels of study - with better outcomes for students, employers, whānau/aiga and communities.
*Other course related costs may apply.
What you can expect
- Academic support throughout your studies
- Access to all
- Pastoral care and cultural support
- Assistance with StudyLink/WINZ and other agencies
- A safe, supportive learning environment
- A whānau and aiga-based student experience
Relationship-based learning practices from UCOL staff
- Opportunity to develop relationships with employers while studying
- Assistance and preparation for gaining apprenticeships and employment
Applications are now being taken for Māori & Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT) funding in 2018. When completing the
UCOL Enrolment Form in Part 9 (Fees), tick the Māori & Pasifika Trades Training box to apply and be considered for this funding.
If you would like more information please email Adrian Christie - A.Christie@ucol.ac.nz.
Places are limited and therefore you are advised to arrange other methods to pay your fees (eg student loan) in case your application for Māori & Pasifika Trades Training funding support is unsuccessful.
It is the intent to catch up with all applicants throughout the month of January 2018 in time for the first programme starting in February 2018.
MPTT programmes for 2018
Tips for applying
- Talk with whānau, friends and supporters about this opportunity.
- Contact a UCOL enrolment advisor in the first instance about eligible programmes and decide which one you are interested in - ensuring you meet the entry requirements.
- You are advised to arrange other methods to pay your fees (eg student loan) in case your request for Māori & Pasifika Trades Training funding support is unsuccessful.
- Fill in the
UCOL Application Form.
- The MPTT Coordinator will contact you and assist you every step of the way with your application, including the checklist below.
- Review the checklist to help you get ready, and be prepared to talk about your answers with the MPTT Coordinator.
- You will find out the results of your application.
Ready to study checklist
Kei te reri ahau ki te ako? (Am I ready to study)
When deciding to study there are many factors that you need to think about. This checklist will assist you to start making sure are ready to study.
Hihiri (Motivation) - Why am I doing this? What are my short and long-term goals?
Tautoko (Support) - Do I have good support networks around me? What extra support may I need?
Pūkenga ako (Study skills) - Do I know how to study? Do I need some help with this?
Wā (Time) - Do I know how to manage my time effectively? What other commitments do I have that may impact on my study?
Pūtea (Money) - Do I have financial support while I study? Do I know how to apply for allowances through study link? What are my requirements if I am on a WINZ benefit? Do I have a current bank account?
Rauemi (Resources) - What other items might I need as part of my study? Do I have a birth certificate, current passport, 18+ card or other form of identification? Do I know my IRD number?
Hui (Meeting) - Have I made an appointment to meet with the MPTT Coordinator?
Ehara taku toa he toa takitahi, he toa takitini.
Success is gained not by the efforts of one, but by the efforts of many.
Kia Ū, Kia Oho, Kia Manawanui!