Fifteen UCOL students were awarded prizes in a Whanganui UCOL Scholarship Ceremony on Thursday afternoon.
The scholarships, from a combination of private donors and businesses, are awarded to students in recognition of effort and achievement, or to assist with financial hardship.
Campus Manager Bronwyn Paul says that while some scholarships apply to specific study areas, others are directed towards specific student groups.
"This year we have a variety of study areas represented, from nursing, design and arts, computer graphic design, exercise and sport science, business and cookery."
"These scholarships can be really life changing for students, and sometimes receiving a scholarship can make the difference to help them to achieve their educational aspirations."
Arthur Wheeler Leedstown Trust scholarship recipient James Middleton says that the scholarship was a welcome reward at the end of his first year of the Bachelor of Nursing.
"Prior to my nursing degree, I worked in the Police Force in New Zealand and the United Kingdom for 22 years. The more experienced I became in my career, the more I realised that I needed more aroha in my life. Nursing was a way for me to help people in a different way, and I am loving the change."
"I have a young family, and my scholarship will make a huge difference when it comes to buying textbooks, and perhaps buying a few more of those interesting textbooks that aren't compulsory."
This year, Arthur Wheeler Leedstown Trust, H & A Print, Wanganui Education Trust, ANZ Bank, Pita Pit and Belgravia Capital have all donated scholarships, something which Ms. Paul says is extremely valuable for both donors and recipients.
"Donating a scholarship means that the donor has made a valuable contribution to tertiary education in Whanganui and the success of students."
"Our scholarship donors are pure gold, and I look forward to involving our sponsors with more things that happen at UCOL."
Full list of Whanganui UCOL scholarship recipients and donors:
Arthur Wheeler Leedstown Trust
- James Middleton (Bachelor of Nursing)
- Shantha De Silva (Bachelor of Nursing)
- Lovely Brunola (Bachelor of Nursing)
- Anita Lower (Bachelor of Nursing)
- Talula McLaughlin (Bachelor of Design &Art)
H & A Print
- Shane Reichenbach (Bachelor of Computer Graphic Design)
- Lucja Orlowski (Bachelor of Design and Art)
Whanganui Education Trust
- Erica Reid (Bachelor of Computer Graphic Design)
- Becky Lee (Certificate of Exercise & Sport Performance)
- Laura Spapens (Bachelor of Nursing
- Jackie Marsh (Diploma in Business)
Pita Pit Wanganui
- Katisha Miller (NZ Diploma in Cookery)
- Elizabeth Hackett (Bachelor of Nursing)
- Margaret Herewini (NZ Diploma in Cookery)