Students from Whanganui Girls’ College claimed the top prizes at the recent UCOL Secondary Schools Hospitality Competition.
Nicole Ede took out the muffin category for her lemon-and-poppy seed muffins. Entrants were tasked with baking six sweet muffins of the same style prior to the event.
In the live kitchen class, Libby Young won a gold medal and was named class winner for her grilled rosemary chicken with bacon and leak risotto, wilted spinach and pumpkin cream. Competitors had to prepare two portions of a chicken main course within 60 minutes.
For Libby, this was her first competition and the first time she cooked in a professional kitchen.
“It was a bit of an eye-opener. It was a good experience.”
Libby (pictured below), a year 13 student, wants to pursue farming after she finishes high school, but says she enjoys cooking and that it’s a good skill to have.
The competition was judged by a panel of UCOL Chef Lecturers and industry professionals, while UCOL cookery students provided assistance to the competitors.
UCOL Chef Lecturer and competition judge Damian Peeti says he was very impressed with what the students produced.
“The entries were of a high standard, beyond the expectation of secondary school level. These dishes’ were right up there with what you see from trainee and apprentice chefs.”
He says that the event was a good opportunity to encourage students to go further with their cooking, expose them to a competition setting, and give them a taste of the facilities and training on offer at UCOL.
Static Class (Muffins)
- Gold medal and class winner – Nicole Ede (Whanganui Girls' College).
- Gold medal – Dalayne De Lange (Palmerston North Girls' High School), Ria Wineera (Palmerston North Girls' High School), Sara Swansson (Tararua College).
- Silver medal – Dakota Barry (Whanganui Girls' College), Claudia Colville (Palmerston North Girls' High School), Brooke Falwasser (Palmerston North Girls' High School), Ashlee Scott (Palmerston North Girls' High School), Ranae Savill (Freyberg), Jacinda Hampson (Palmerston North Girls' High School).
- Bronze medal – Jacob Massicks (Palmerston North Boys' High School).
Live Class (Chicken main)
- Gold medal and class winner – Libby Young (Whanganui Girls' College).
- Silver medal - Jacob Massicks (Palmerston North Boys' High School), Kate Farrington (Palmerston North Girls' High School), Sara Swansson (Tararua College), Alyse Price (Whanganui Girls' College).
Lead picture: Nicole Ede with UCOL Chef Lecturer Damian Peeti and UCOL Hospitality and Chef Training Programme Leader Ian Drew.