If you’re thinking about a new career, learning something new, or improving your job prospects, there is support on offer.
One Year’s Fees Free Study
You may qualify for this funding if you are a New Zealand citizen or resident who:
- You must have enrolled in a school in or after 2020, other than as an adult learner, or
- Hasn’t done more than half a year of equivalent full-time tertiary education (0.5 EFTS or 60 credits) at NZQA Level 3 or above
To find out if you're eligible, go to www.feesfree.govt.nz and enter your national student number (NSI). If you don't know your NSI there's a helpful link, and if you have more questions, see the FAQs.
Eligible programmes must meet these criteria:
- Funded by the Tertiary Education Commission
- Recognised by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority
- Level 3 or above on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (see the UCOL Te Pūkenga programme pages for the levels)
- Not be part of a school learning programme or secondary-tertiary programme.
Amount of funding available
There is a limit of NZ$12,000.00 for fees, which will cover tuition fees, associated fees and compulsory student services fees at UCOL Te Pūkenga.
Length, location and timing of study
- Fees free can use UCOL Te Pūkenga for up to two years from the study start date. Extramural study, including from overseas, is allowed.
- Fees-free can't be deferred for a later year. It must be used from the start of an enrolment.
Student allowances, living costs and course-related costs
If you meet the requirements, but still need support with funding other aspects of your study, you can apply to StudyLink.
Training Incentive Allowance
If you’re on a Government benefit, you may also be able to get the
Training Incentive Allowance.