Skip Navigation Links Home Study at UCOLFund your studyTraining Incentive Allowance

Training Incentive Allowance (TIA)

If you’re on a Government benefit, you may be able to access the Training Incentive Allowance - this allowance can help cover some of the costs of studying, and doesn’t have to be paid back.

The TIA can help with things like tuition fees, books, equipment, transport, childcare and care costs while studying. You could get up to a maximum of $4,839.20 in a year. You have to apply for TIA every year.

The TIA is be available for all courses at levels 1-7 (which includes certificates, diploma, and degree-level study) of the New Zealand Qualifications Framework.

The allowance is available to people who are on:

  • Sole Parent Support
  • Supported Living Payment-carer
  • Emergency Benefit (sole parents only, includes Emergency Maintenance Allowance)
  • Jobseeker Support – sole parent (part-time study only), and
  • Young Parent Payment (sole parent)

To apply for this, you’ll need to speak to Work and Income (MSD). For more information on it and how to apply, go to Training Incentive Allowance - Work and Income.