UCOL's New Zealand Certificate in Exercise comprises 60 credits.
Students will be working with clients when delivering exercise programmes and will be expected to wear appropriate exercise clothing suitable for a gymnasium environment.
Working with young people
UCOL will undertake a safety check of all students working with children under the age of seventeen years old to ensure legislative requirements of the Children's Act are met. The safety check involves confirming the student’s work history, verifying their suitability to work with children with a trusted referee, and the completion of New Zealand Police vetting.
Once admitted to the programme, students are required to inform UCOL of any pending charges or changes to their conviction status. A change of status may not necessarily result in exclusion from the programme, but it may impact the availability of student practica or placements.
Practicum hours in this programme refer to student time with their client independent of the programme lecturer. Students complete time logs for all practicum activity and complete reflective journals on their client management. Students are required to participate in group discussion on their journal entries and client interaction experiences.
Your personalised timetable will be available just prior to classes starting, and will comprise a commitment of:
- 240 hours of lecturer supported learning (Monday - Friday tutorials, workshops and practical sessions)
- 25 hours practicum
- 335 hours of self-directed learning (your own time spent on research and study to complete your written assignments)
It will make the process easier if you prepare the following before you
- National Student Number (NSN) (If you don't have a NSN, you may request one from NZQA, or you can supply a verified copy of your birth certificate, passport or Whakapapa statement.)
- Evidence of your highest level of academic achievement (and evidence of prior learning, if applicable)
- Evidence that you meet the entry requirements of the programme
- A completed Health Declaration Form (fill out Section A only)
- Check if you're eligible for additional support or a scholarship. If you're 19 years or younger, you may be eligible to enrol in one of our free Youth Transition programmes.
Note that you will need to provide any verified documents in person, via post or email.
Recognition of prior learning
Applications for Recognition of Prior Learning, including Cross Credit, Credit Transfer and Assessment of Prior Learning may be made on the
Recognition of Prior Learning Form
where a student believes they can demonstrate specified competencies.