Full attendance is encouraged to maximise learning opportunities and to optimise success for learners. To meet external examination requirements, 80% attendance of practical classes is compulsory.
This programme may require learners to work after hours when studying at the Palmerston North campus.
It is recommended that applicants have met the literacy and numeracy requirements for NCEA Level 1 or equivalent.
Learners need to be aware of the physical requirements for operating in a commercial kitchen environment. Learners will be advised to put any special needs or requirements in writing and advise the Head of School before the programme begins.
Your personalised timetable will be available just prior to classes starting, and will comprise a weekly commitment of:
- 22.5 hours of lecturer supported learning (practical learning in UCOL Te Pūkenga's professional kitchen, theory and computer work)
- 13 hours of self-directed learning (your own time spent on practical skill development, theory and computer work to complete your assignments)
Recognition of prior learning
Applications for Recognition of Prior Learning, including Cross Credit, Credit Transfer and Assessment of Prior Learning may be made on the
Recognition of Prior Learning Form where a student believes all learning outcomes for a course have already been met. Applications will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis in accordance with the
UCOL Te Pūkenga Academic Statute and other relavant
policies and procedures.
It will make the process easier if you prepare the following before you apply:
- National Student Number (NSN) (If you don't have a NSN, you may request one from NZQA, or you can supply a verified copy of your birth certificate, passport or Whakapapa statement.)
- Evidence of your highest level of academic achievement (and evidence of prior learning, if applicable)
- Evidence that you meet the entry requirements of the programme
- Check if you're eligible for additional support or a scholarship. If you're 19 years or younger, you may be eligible to enrol in one of our free Youth Transition programmes.
Note that you will need to provide any
verified documents in person, via post or email (not via the online application form).