Your physical and mental wellbeing plays a big part in your success in the classroom. Each UCOL campus has a specialist staff member who can provide assistance, or refer you to organisations that support physical, mental, and spiritual wellbeing. Our Student Advocate can also provide advice on things like housing and budgeting.
It’s normal sometimes to feel overwhelmed by what life throws at you, so know that our friendly staff are here to help.
Free limited counselling appointments are available for all students at the Wellbeing Hub on the ground floor of the main building.
Bookings are recommended and can be made by emailing Wellbeing-PN@ucol.ac.nz
For students under 24, the Youth One Stop Shop across the road from the campus provides free doctor, nurse, support and counselling appointments.
The Wellbeing Hub also hosts a number support groups:
Anxiety Support Group
This support group is to help students who feel the effects of anxiety to make meaningful connections and learn resilience strategies that will help with study and life away from UCOL.
Parenting from a Distance Support Group
A forum for students who are parenting from a distance to share their stories and help each other through common challenges. The group is a collaboration between UCOL and Parentline Manawatū.
Contact: Steve McVey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cam Lock (email@example.com)
Transcend 18+ is a fun social support hangout space for trans and gender diverse people aged 18 and over. Transcend 18+ has regular meetings at UCOL. Check Transcend out on Facebook for more info.
Student Wellbeing Awareness Group (SWAG)
Interested in the wellbeing of UCOL student community? As a member of SWAG, you will provide feedback on UCOL wellbeing policy as well as help run wellbeing initiatives throughout the year. It’s about students helping to improve the wellbeing of their peers.
Contact: Steve McVey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
UniQ @ UCOL
UniQ is Palmy’s group for LGBTQI or questioning students and provides a welcoming peer-led, safe space to meet new friends and have good times. UniQ meets regularly at UCOL.
Our Wellbeing Advisor on Whanganui campus connects students with organisations that can offer support for physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
UCOL has a close relationship with the Youth Services Trust, which provides UCOL students with free doctor, nurse and counselling appointments. The Youth Services Trust are located close to the Whanganui campus at 7 Park Place. Youth Services Trust (YST) is located at 39 Drews Avenue.
- Free nurse appointments for UCOL students. Appointments are available Monday to Friday between 9.00am - 11.00am and Wednesday afternoon from 1.00pm - 5.00pm.
- Free doctor appointments on Monday from 5.00pm - 6.00pm.
- Free counselling service, appointments necessary.
Enquiries outside these hours will be attended to based on urgency.
UCOL is located in the heart of Masterton, with close ties to the healthcare community. The Counsellor on-site can help you directly or refer you to the organisation and people who can.
Counselling appointments can be made through HUB or at the A block reception. Students can also make appointments directly.
Phone: 0800 GO UCOL - extension 72068
For support and help
Here are some official numbers you may reach out to in case you need support or help:
Police/Fire/Ambulance Emergency - 111
- Alcohol & Drug Help Line - 0800 787 797
- Abuse & Rape Crisis - 06 3565868
- Crisis Team - Mental Health - 0800 653 357
- Life Line - 0800 543 354
- Ma-ori Mental Health - 06 350 9155
- Phobic Helpline-Anxiety - 0800 142694389
- Relationship Services - 0800 735283
- Suicide Prevention/Depression - 0800 111 757
- Women’s Refuge - 06 3565585
- YOSS - 06 3555906
- Wellbeing Hub - 0800 468 265
- Alcoholic Anonymous - 0800 229 675
- Oranga Tamariki - 0508 326 459
- Depression line - 0800 111 757
- Health line - 0800 611 116
- Parent line - 0800 432 645
- Problem Gambling - 0800 664 262
- Samaritans - 0800 726 666
- Victim Support - 0800 842 846
- Youth Line - 0800 376 633
- Need to Talk - 1737
- 0800 Hey Bro